The City of Porvoo and Neste will report on the COVID-19 situation regularly during the major turnaround
The City of Porvoo and Neste will actively report on the mass tests and potential COVID-19 infections and mass exposures detected at the turnaround site. As the Kilpilahti industrial area is located in Porvoo, the City of Porvoo will be the authority coordinating the overall situation and communications.
Neste has prepared a detailed health security plan, which defines extensive precautions for preventing COVID-19 infections during the turnaround. For example, Neste is organising regular mass testing during the shutdown.
– We have also agreed on extensive cooperation in case we need to trace any infections. Our common goal is that the situation remains calm and under control, says the City of Porvoo’s Director of Social Services and Health Care Ann-Sofie Silvennoinen.
– We are aware that in this Covid-19 situation the turnaround site at Neste’s Porvoo refinery is of great interest to the local residents. We report on the overall situation and infection rates regularly on our website. If there are wider infection or exposure chains, we will announce them separately, says the City of Porvoo’s Communications Director Aino-Marja Kontio.
Daily infection rates from both Porvoo and the refinery area will be announced on Porvoo’s website daily: www.visitporvoo.fi/coronavirus-infections-in-porvoo. The site also includes a weekly report on Porvoo’s Covid-19 situation and information on the vaccination timetable.
As for the refinery, the infection rates of Porvoo-based employees will be announced separately. These figures will also be included in the total infection rates of the City of Porvoo. Also Neste will publish weekly information about the corona status at the refinery on the kilpilahti.fi website.
– We will receive the results of the mass tests daily and report them consistently. Any positive results reported will naturally be from the previous day, says Aino-Marja Kontio.
The number of the mass tests from 29.3.2021 is over 12 000.
– The number of positive infections under a bit less than one month is about fortyfive. Most of the positive Covid-19 tests have been confirmed in the pre-tests and the persons have never entered the turnaround site at Kilpilahti. The Covid-19 positive persons have been ordered in isolation by the authorities. This means that the created plan is working, says Ann-Sofie Silvennoinen.
The Neste Porvoo refinery major turnaround will take approximately 12 weeks. During the major turnaround, the refinery is subject to regulatory inspections, maintenance works and selected asset improvement initiatives that are required for the refinery's operations. The refinery is expected to be operating normally by the end of June.
Up to approximately 4,500 people will be working on the site simultaneously. The maintenance will involve a total of 6,000 people in stages during the spring, 2,000 of whom will be from abroad.
– Major turnaround is a significant investment to secure safety, availability and competitiveness of the Porvoo refinery. We at Neste have planned extensive measures to mitigate the impacts of the coronavirus during the turnaround. We are very pleased with the close cooperation between the City of Porvoo and Neste, and we strongly believe we will be able to execute the turnaround safely through this cooperation, says Jori Sahlsten, Vice President of Production from Neste’s Porvoo refinery.
Links to the websites: