Frequently asked questions about the local government pilot on employment
What is the local government pilot on employment?
The local government pilot on employment, also called the municipal employment trial, is a national project in which some of the tasks of the TE Office are transferred to the municipality. The pilot is ongoing in 125 municipalities. In the County of Uusimaa, the municipalities participating in the pilot include Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa, Kerava, Porvoo, Raasepori and Hanko. The pilot started on 1 March 2021 and will end on 30 June 2023.
Why was the the local government pilot introduced?
In accordance with the Government Programme of Finland, the role of municipalities as organisers of employment services is to be strengthened. The purpose of the pilot is to improve the access to the labour market for those who have been unemployed for a long period and for those who are disadvantaged in terms of employment. In addition, the pilot aims to develop services to support the jobseeker’s employment and service models that take the client’s situation and service needs into account on an individual basis. The Parliament has approved the Act on the local government pilot on employment, which entered into force on 1 March 2021.
What does this mean in practice?
On 1 March 2021, some jobseekers living in Porvoo became clients of the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo while some remained clients of the TE Office. A jobseeker who becomes a client of the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo receives the following in “one-stop shop”:
- TE services and
- the services of the City of Porvoo.
How does this apply to me?
You become a client of the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo if
- your municipality of residence is Porvoo and
- you have registered as a jobseeker and are unemployed, laid off, employed with pay subsidy or in an employment promotion service and
- you belong to one of the following groups:
- you receive labour market subsidy or basic unemployment allowance from Kela or
- your native language is not Finnish, Swedish or Sami or you are not a Finnish citizen or
- you are under 30 years of age.
Is there something I need to do?
You are automatically assigned to the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo. You do not need to contact the City of Porvoo or the TE Office due to this matter. If your client relationship remains in the TE Office, you do not receive any notification and there are no changes to your use of services.
Who should I be dealing with?
If you are a client of the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo, your affairs are handled by a personal coach from the City. Your personal coach helps you seek jobs and deal with the authorities. You can ask your coach for advice and set up meetings. During the COVID-19 pandemic, online communication is preferred.
- You can send your coach a contact request via the E-services. Your coach will contact you by email or telephone.
- You can send email to your coach. If you do not have the email address, please send your message to email@example.com.
How do I use the services?
- You can take care of almost all job seeking matters online via the E-services, also available at www.te-palvelut.fi. The Employment Services of the City of Porvoo thus use the same online service as the TE Office.
Call telephone counselling if you have any questions
You can use the national telephone service of the TE Office for counselling.
- Personal clients’ telephone service Mon–Fri 9:00–16:15 suomeksi 0295 025 500, på svenska 0295 025 510, in English 0295 020 713, на русском языке 0295 020 715
- Unemployment security counselling Mon–Fri 9:00–16:15 0295 020 701
- Training counselling Mon–Fri 9:00–16:15 0295 020 702
- Career guidance Mon–Thu 12:00–16:00, career counselling psychologist, 0295 020 720
- The Employment Services of the City of Porvoo 040 525 8035
Are there any changes in the services I receive?
You receive a personal coach from the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo, who helps you seek jobs. Through your coach, you receive the services of the TE Office as well as municipal services according to your needs. Some services are the same as before and some are new.
How do I register as a jobseeker from now on?
Please always register to the TE Office. You can do that online via the E-services. If you do not have online banking codes, a mobile certificate or a smart ID card, you can still register online using a registration form. You can also visit the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo in the address Mannerheiminkatu 20 D, 06100 Porvoo.
There are tasks in my employment plan. Do I have to complete them?
If your plan includes tasks
- complete your tasks by the due date
- mark the tasks as completed by the due date in the E-services
If you want to change the plan, please send a message to your personal coach.
Does the local government pilot on employment affect my unemployment security?
It does not affect the unemployment security already granted. You apply for unemployment benefits from Kela or the unemployment fund as before.
What if I move to another municipality?
Your client relationship will be transferred to your new municipality of residence if they participate in the local government pilot on employment. If not, you will become a client of the TE Office. You will be notified where your client relationship is transferred to.
What if I find a job but become unemployed again later?
Your client relationship in the Employment Services of the City of Porvoo will remain there all through the local government pilot, until 30 June 2023.
Which tasks does the TE Office perform?
The TE Office provides the following for all jobseekers:
- registration of unemployed jobseekers
- resolution of unemployment security claims
- interviews and selection to labour market training.
In addition, the TE Office is responsible for its own clients’ TE services.
Where can I find more information?
The website of the City of Porvoo (select English language): www.porvoo.fi/tyollisyys
The website of the TE Services: te-palvelut.fi > How to use the services > Local government pilots on employment
The website of the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities provides information on local government pilot on employment in other municipalities (in Finnish): www.kuntaliitto.fi/tyollisyyskokeilut