Effects on the City of Porvoo’s operations
Thre are changes in the operations in the City's service due to Covid-19.
Help for people over 70, risk groups and those in quarantine
If you are at home in quarantine, over 70 years of age or otherwise at risk and need help with shopping or food aid, you can ask for help by calling these numbers:
- FRC Porvoo branch volunteers, tel. +358 40 757 1236.
- Counselling and service guidance for families with children +358 40 673 5882 (Mon–Fri 9 am–3 pm)
- Adult social work emergency service, tel. +358 40 162 6343 (Mon–Fri 9 am–3 pm)
- Ruori, guidance for older people, +358 40 676 1414 (Mon–Fri 9 am–3 pm)
- East Uusimaa social service helps with emergency food aid during evenings and weekends, +358 40 517 4194
- Immigrant services, tel. +358 40 136 3669 (Mon–Fri 9 am–3 pm) Service in Finnish, Swedish, Arabic, English and French.
Many stores also have separate opening hours and services for those at risk.
Most unurgent matters are postponed as urgent matters are a priority. From June 1st some services are starting to open up. Contact by calling or electronic services are preferred.
Non-urgent dental care and health centre appointments will not be booked yet.
The HUS X-ray unit at Näsi health centre will be dedicated to infection imaging. Other X-rays will be taken at Porvoo Hospital.
Respiratory infection clinic and information
- Call for information and appointments
- Mon-Thu 8 am–4 pm, Fri 8 am–3 pm +358 40 547 7764, +358 40 481 0344 or +358 400 608 556
- Mon-Thu 4 pm–6 pm, Fri 3 pm–5 pm, Sat–Sun 8:30 am–1 pm: +358 40 547 7764. Please note: During evenings the phone is answered by personnel on call duty. Please call only if your errand can’t wait until the next morning.
- Patients received by appointment Mon-Thu 8 am–6 pm, Fri 8 am–5 pm, Sat–Sun 9 am–1 pm
- Intended for all patients in Porvoo who have a respiratory infection and whose symptoms are so severe that self-care at home is not sufficient (not only those with coronavirus).
- Located on the ‘X-ray corridor’ of Näsi health centre. Enter through the automatic doors of doorway C. Take the elevator to the lowest floor.
Do not enter the premises without calling first!
Corona testing point in Porvoo
A drive-in testing service for the coronavirus has started in the Näsi health centre. Despite its name, the service is available by appointment only. It serves the entire eastern Uusimaa region.
Samples are taken on weekdays between 8 am and 4 pm. The opening hours will be expanded when necessary.
The service operates as follows:
- Patients are referred to tests by appointment by a communicable disease doctor.
- The communicable disease doctors in the municipalities in the area and the hospital’s infection doctor will provide the service point with information concerning the person coming in for testing over the telephone.
- The nurse at the sampling point will book the appointment and contact the customer.
- The customer will arrive at the sampling point by car and call when they have arrived.
- The sample is taken inside the vehicle, which is driven partly inside the garage. This way, the identity of the person being sampled can be protected.
- The samples are then provided to HUSLAB laboratories for analysis.
- The results will be sent to the nurse who made the laboratory referral at Näsi.
- The customer is notified of a negative result (= normal sample) by text message.
- Positive results are reported to the doctor who made the referral. The doctor will then contact the patient.
Regional hospital ward for corona patients at Näsi
The Wilhelmina unit of rehabilitation hospital Näsi has been converted into a regional hospital ward for corona patients.
The ward serves all residents of the municipalities of eastern Uusimaa who need hospital treatment. The ward has 22–24 hospital beds. In the event that more hospital beds are needed, other wards at Näsi can also be gradually re-purposed to treat corona patients.
Non-urgent dental care appointments are mainly cancelled. Some non-urgent, but necessary appointments can be scheduled. The oral health care services will contact the patients that can be treated.
During evenings and weekends, emergency care is available at Haartman Hospital in Helsinki. Always call the appointment service on +358 9 4717 1110 before seeking emergency care. Open weekdays 2–9 pm, weekends and public holidays 8 am–9 pm.
Families and maternity and child health clinics
The activities of the birth control and family planning clinic will be reduced. Telephone service and bookings on weekdays 12 noon–1.30 pm on +358 19 520 4375. Free contraceptives are handed out by appointment.
The health examinations for children and expecting mothers are opening step by step. The family center provides examinations for infants and expecting mothers, and the examinations for 1,5-year-olds and 4-year-olds are continued. The clinic in Kevätkumpu opened with limited personnel on May 11th.
Visitation is still banned at all service homes and the wards of the Näsi rehabilitation centre.
Day activity groups at the Wilhelmina ward of the Näsi rehabilitation centre are cancelled for the time being. No new treatment periods will be booked for short-term clients at Wilhelmina for the time being.
Näsi physiotherapy’s and Omenamäki service centre’s exercise groups and other groups are suspended for the time being.
Urgent social work is secured by centralising social welfare staff and cancelling non-urgent appointments.
The supervised and supported parent-child meetings and supervised exchanges of the family law services in East Uusimaa are using special arrangements by agreement with the family law services and their clients.
The helpline of social work for families with children is open on weekdays 9 am–3 pm, tel. +358 40 673 5882. The electronic help service is available around the clock. Reach out if a family with children is in a worrying situation or needs help in its everyday life.
No new clients will be accepted for rehabilitative work activities for the time being. Service by phone or electronically.
Counselling and support
The East Uusimaa social service provides counselling and support should the coronavirus situation cause concern for your and your loved ones’ well-being and safety. The social service helpline does not provide health advice.
Non-urgent appointments for companion animals will not be available, and some of the appointments already booked will be cancelled. The veterinarian will call the owner of the animal if the time is cancelled.
The movement of people at veterinary clinics will be restricted. Sales of feed and supplies at veterinary clinics will be suspended.
The aim is to offer health care for farm animals and emergency veterinary care for companion animals as normal. Some clinics may be closed from time to time.
Environmental Health Services
Schoolchildren and students
All lower and upper stage comprehensive schools returned to school on May 14th.
General upper secondary schools operate via distance learning until the end of May
There is a helpline for students in school and student health care and their guardians, which can be called if there are any concerns. The phone number is +358 40 488 9402, and it serves Mon–Thu 8 am–4 pm and Fri 8 am–2 pm.
Early childhood education
Early childhood education services will opened again on May 14th. Services are organised all in all sensibly and safely.
Open activities organised by early childhood education services will be suspended. The activities of Perhepaikka Famili and Perhetupa Ilona have been suspended until the end of May.
Youth workers and Ohjaamo are on call
The Porvoo Youth Services and the youth counselling and guidance centre Ohjaamo are on-call online while the youth facilities and locations are closed. The youth workers are available every day to help and support young people through online youth work on the internet, on various social media channels, and through online games. See the Youth Services Instagram and Facebook accounts for updated information.
The swimming hall, sports hall, Aurorahalli, ice rink, Kokonhalli and the wintertime changing rooms of the Kokonniemi outdoor swimming pool have been closed for the time being.
The City’s exercise groups, swimming schools, Liikuntamaailma activities, school competitions and fitness events have been cancelled until the end of May.
The premises of the City of Porvoo will not be rented to external activity organisers for the time being. Any reservations made will be cancelled until the end of May. All club training sessions and individual bookings on the City’s premises will be cancelled for the time being.
The Kokonniemi skating ramp is closed. Other outdoor exercise facilities and exercise opportunities in nature are available to residents of all ages. However, there are no services at the outdoor sports facilities.
The City’s cultural, youth and library services have cancelled all events and public gatherings. For the time being, the City will not rent market areas or other public areas for events.
Some of the Art Factory’s commercial public events will also be cancelled. Event Factory will separately communicate the cancellation of its events.
The museums and exhibition spaces maintained by the city of Porvoo will be opened 1st of Jun. The Old Town Hall and Holm House, which are maintained by Porvoo Museum, will be opened 2nd of Jun. Porvoo Art Hall will open 9th of Jun.
Porvoo libraries are closed, even during the self-service times. The mobile library services are suspended.
During the suspension, the library extends loan periods and does not charge late fees from customers. Books can also be returned via the book return slot at the main library. Books cannot be returned to the Gammelbacka and Kevätkumpu libraries.
The library’s e-materials are available at the online library: helle.finna.fi.
The library’s customer service can be contacted by phone and email on weekdays 10 am–3 pm: Main library +358 19 520 2418 or +358 19 520 2430, youth and children’s department +358 19 520 2424, email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music Institute, Art School and the adult education centre
The Porvoo Region Music Institute, Porvoo Art School and Porvoon kansalaisopisto (adult education centre) have suspended teaching for two weeks. Some of the teaching can be carried out remotely. All concerts and events will be cancelled or postponed.
The waste management company Rosk’n Roll Oy Ab will keep all its basic services open and in use for the time being. Up-to-date information on waste management services and customer guidance can be found in Finnish on Rosk’n Roll’s website at www.rosknroll.fi.
Customer service and advice
Tourist information at the Art Factory will be opened 1st of June. The information is available Mon–Fri 9 am–4 pm. You should prefer contacting by telephone on +358 (0)40 489 9801 and email at email@example.com.
The City’s other customer service points also provide services by telephone and electronically.