Food production has a large impact on the environment, because the share of food in the climate impact of consumption is approximately as large as that of traffic or housing. One person consumes almost one thousand kilograms of foodstuffs per year. The climate impact of meat and dairy products is almost 45 times larger compared to potatoes.
Renewing your family’s eating habits is an environmental act:
- increase the share of plant products in your food
- reduce the consumption of animal products
- favour Finnish, organic and locally sourced foods
- reduce the amount of food waste
- combine your shopping to fewer trips or use a home-delivery service
Climate-friendly food is often also healthier and reduces the consumption of empty calories. By reducing the consumption of empty calories, you can reduce your food expenses by as much as 40 per cent!